Andrew Dixon wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'm just starting a major project for a government client and the
> first job is to design the database. Is there any recongnised
> convention on the naming of database fields. In the past I have always
> named them [table_name_field_name] for example: projects_id where the
> table is called 'projects' and the field is called 'id'.

None that I know of, but what I do is use plural in general for the
table names, e.g. "categories", "posts". After all, we are talking about
sets here, and it's natural to pluralise them.

Fields I give the singular form to, so the "projects" would have a field
called "project_id". The reasoning being that whereas the set contains
many projects, hence the pluralisation, each tuple refers to just one,
so it's singular.

K.

--
Keith Gaughan, Developer
Digital Crew Ltd., Pembroke House, Pembroke Street, Cork, Ireland