I didn't read all the previous posts, but here are some thoughts:

1. cferror and cftry/catch are 2 different things. If you catch an
exception, the exception disappears and doesn't throw an error.
2. You have a lot of the info that you would have in the error scope in
the cfcatch scope too.
3. the error template will always open in the frame where the error
occurred
4. if you use cferror, any variable set before the error occurred should
still exist. We use fusebox and then it is not to hard to apply the
correct design to the templates, but even without that it should be
possible. You can even place a cferror tag in a page itself and it
should override that of the application.cfm

Pascal