Well generally you are right, but who allways writes variables.name or
something like that. Even if you have defined the scope the checks still
have to be done and the engine has to check wether it is a valid scope
(or a structure or something else) or not. By configuring the scope
cascading to "strict" (see below), railo knows, that a variable without
a scope can only be found in the variables or arguments scope. And
please recall that in CFMX something like this (might be stupid) still
works:

<cfset test = caller.name> If in the "caller" scope there is a form
variable called "name" CFMX will find this variable, allthough the form
scope is present in the current template too. You could also write
<cfset test = caller.form.name>

Well exactly spoken in railo you can configure scope cascading in the
following way:
Extract of the railo.xml:
        <!--
        scope configuration:
                cascading (expanding of undefined scope)
                        - strict (argument,variables)
                        - small (argument,variables,cgi,url,form)
                        - standart
(argument,variables,cgi,url,form,cookie)

                cascade-to-resultset: yes|no
                        when set to yes, railo allows inside a <cfoutput
query="queryname"> and <cfloop query="queryname"> to call columns of the
resultset implicitly

                merge-url-form:yes|no
                        when set to yes all form and url variables are
merged into both scopes
        -->
        <scope
                cascading="standart"