From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 9:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: RE: Primary Key Justification

I'm not sure I completely agree with that statement about RPG
programmers - I
began my career doing Relational Database design and programming for
OS400
using RPG.  Their design and development (if done right) should be
completely
sound, maybe more so than what's produced by others.  One thing you've
got to
keep in mind is that the old school RPG developers dealt with machines
that had
serious memory limitations... and so OS400 also had these limitations.
For
example, variable names couldn't exceed 6 characters... allowing more
characters meant using up extra memory.  The same line of thought
applies to
table, procedure, and column names as well.  That said, anyone with a
lot of
experience in RPG needs to do a little reading and get with the times if
they
want to do database design using modern hardware and/or modern
software... and
I'd encourage them to do so.  Developers that have never worked within
the
limitations that older systems used to apply don't really appreciate how
easy
they've got it ;)

~Simon