It's one of those rare issues where you spend a few minutes to a few days
trying to find out why a value is being set one way when it's supposed to be
another. With small CFCs it should not be a problem, but once you get into
large ones with internal function calls, you're getting into dangerous
territory. I've seen a lot of CFCs with a query name set to the same thing
as the CFC inside of it. As long as it's not recalled in the same run,
you've got no problem.
The issue came up where the same function was called twice internally to the
CFC. This is rare, but does happen and will bite people in the rear.
I don't see MM changing the scoping. All I suggested is an attribute to
simulate the var for whatever is returned from the query.
Instead of
<CFSET var qQuery="">
<CFQUERY name="qQuery" ...>
I'd like to see
<CFQUERY name="qQuery" local="yes" ...>

Maybe in CFMX 7.1 or 8 (unless they slip it in on Blackstone when I'm not
looking)