We've noticed that, with ColdFusion MX, problems tend to cascade through the
system, crashing ColdFusion MX and the Web server in turn. The types of
problems I'm talking about include database connectivity issues, as well as
flash remoting and web service issues.

This didn't used to be the case with ColdFusion 5. In ColdFusion 5, database
problems might tie up threads and eventually cause ColdFusion to stop
responding until the database problem was resolved. I don't recall that this
ever actually crashed the ColdFusion service, much less brought down the Web
server.

So, I'm wondering, is this truly how ColdFusion MX behaves, or have we
configured something improperly? Having said that, I should note that we
leave most settings at their default unless we have a good reason to change
them.

We're seeing this problem on Windows Server 2000 and 2003 talking to a
couple different Microsoft SQL Server boxes. We've tried installing the
latest ColdFusion MX updater. That doesn't seem to have helped.

It happens when, for instance, connection timeouts occur while querying the
database. In a recent case, a flash movie was making many failed web service
requests. The volume of the requests themselves wasn't the problem. It
appeared to be related more to the fact that the requests were generating
Axis faults.

I should note that we're a hosting provider, so we host a lot of content
that we haven't developed ourselves. We also host non-ColdFusion sites. So,
when a ColdFusion problem starts affecting static sites, ASP.Net and classic
ASP sites, it's a pretty big issue for us.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057