As the person who started this thread, I just wanted to acknowledge that
what Michael found seems to be true for us as well. When a database or flash
remoting issue causes requests to timeout, the IIS Lockdown tool starts
cycling the Web service. At some point, it gets itself into an inconsistent
state that requires manual intervention.

We've removed the IIS Lockdown Tool from the Windows Server 2003 box which
has been causing us problems. The IIS Lockdown is largely redundant on
Windows Server 2003 anyway. We'll wait to see how that behaves before
investigating possible solutions for the Windows Server 2000 box.

Thanks Micheal!

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051