And you have hit upon the true issue:  When it comes to CF, almost 100% of the
maintanance problems with an app are a result of the people that wrote it.
This is actually the case with many modern languages (I'll exempt C++ - it's a
major knives and daggers language).  Blaming a framework is rather short
sighted.

As an example, I once worked with someone that loved to name his JavaScript
functions x, y and z.  When he had more than three functions on a page, he'd
name then x1, x2, xx, etc.  Lovely.  I especially enjoyed when he'd do stuff
like:

x = x();
y = z();
xx1 = x2();

Now then, is that the fault of JavaScript, or the idiot programmer (I use that
word loosely in his case)?  Obviously, it was him.  To blame the language is
disingeneous.  Same with blaming certain frameworks.