> I'd want a little more detail on what database, how long the list is and how
> often this happens before deciding.

Database: SQL Server

How often: As needed. Could be once an hour or once a week, who knows.
Client certainly doesn't!

I've built a pretty extensive administration system for them to send out
newsletters to subscribed members and manage email lists. They're
looking for an easier way to get large list entered. They'd be importing
lists with 10 to 1000 names/email addresses at a time, as far as I can tell.

Who's entering this stuff? Could be anybody at the organization. Current
system is pretty idiot proof, but somebody always finds a way to monk
with it. Importing a list presents a number of ways to really screw
things if it's not delimited properly, so I'll have to have extensive
verification of everything before it gets written into the database.

 > Cold fusion can execute DTS packages from the server. A cfm page can
 > gather the data, set up the database, then trigger the DTS package to
 > run the import without the user even being aware of what is happening.

Is there a really good write-up on this anywhere I can study. Never
tried this before, but with the proper data-verification, sounds like a
nifty idea - providing the evil IT guys the client has working for them
will grant the proper permissions (?) on the server to allow it to
happen. (You wouldn't believe how long it took to get the newsletter
system itself to word - or rather - the hoops IT made us jump through
before it *would* work...)

TIA!

--
Les Mizzell