I like to use Docbook - it gives tags specific to technical
documenation. Its somewhat of a standard for open source projects. You
can google for DocBook to get a feel for what its about. The editor I
like to use is XXE http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/.  While it wont
help you with, like, what do I put for Chapter 1 it forces you to be
consistant with your documentation.

After you make the docbook xml, you can make the xml file into RTF,
PDF, HTML, man pages, and a bunch of other formats.