On Dec 1, 2004, at 10:02 PM, Sean Corfield wrote:
> First off, don't use the double-click approach - you really need to
> use the command-line install.

Boy was I hoping I'd see you jump in here...I think this all boils down
to me not really understanding how the whole .jar/unix/command
line/paths thing actually works on a mac. I think I need to read
something about this first before even trying to go any further. Any
recommendations? I think it's not so much that I don't understand the
command line unix portion, upon further reflection. It seems to be more
of "I just don't really understand how jrun and the whole java install
process works." Does that make sense? I'm reading as carefully as I
can, but I'm really stuck right on number 8. I've done 1-7 perfectly
(well, maybe not perfectly, I wanted to install cfmx...okay, lemme take
that back...I double clicked the jar file and wanted to install it to
my applications folder, which I *thought* was "Powerbook/Applications"
but when I double clicked "Powerbook" I saw that it had actually
created a folder on my root called "Powerbook" and installed the war
files into an "applications" folder it had created there. So rather
than going into "Applications" it's now in
"Powerbook/Applications"...make sense? That was my first screwup.) and
as a result, I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do once I
navigate to my "Applications/Jrun4/servers/default/CFIDE" directory in
the terminal.

So that was where I just didn't know what to do...

I'm here:
------------------
If you haven't done so already, open a Terminal window
(Applications/Utilities/Terminal), navigate to the cfusion directory,
and use the jar utility to uncompress the cfusion.war file:

cd jrun_root/jrun4/servers/servername/cfusion
jar -xvf cfmx_install_directory/cfusion.war

Note: In these instructions, replace jrun_root with the directory in
which you installed JRun 4; for example, /Applications/jrun4. Replace
servername with the name of the server to which you are deploying
ColdFusion MX; for example, if you installed ColdFusion MX in the
default JRun server, specify default.
------------------

and I can't successfully run the 'jar -xvf....' command.

> No, you don't 'run' these files. The cfusion.war and rds.war files
> need to be manually deployed to a new server instance creating on
> JRun

I created the directories (cfusion and CFIDE) under the default
directory in my "servers" directory under jrun, which is in my
applications folder. Did I screw that up?

> Read the install notes carefully - they look daunting and complex but
> as long as you follow every step carefully, it should all just work:
>
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/j2ee/
> cfmxj2ee_mac_onjrunandtom.html
>
> Note that it absolutely requires you become familiar with the
> command-line interface of the Unix subsystem that underlies Mac OS X.

That's what page I'm reading, but it seems like it leaves out a step or
two right at that 8th step...*sigh*. Do I just delete the
"Powerbook/Applications" folder the jar file created on my root and
just try again? How do I tell it to install into a CFMXJ2EE directory
in my applications folder?