By putting the cfm extension on the end of the page, you take a performance
hit. If you're comparing it to returning a static page, the performance hit
is huge. In the grand scheme of things, it's usually insignificant.

If the site is mostly HTML with a couple of dynamic pages, then you'll
probably want to use an htm/html extension. If your site is mostly dynamic,
then it probably makes sense to give the page a cfm extension. It's more
consistent and it allows you to add dynamic content at any time without
breaking links or affecting search engine placement.

You can probably reduce the performance hit by using the cfcache tag. I
haven't specifically tested this, however: it wouldn't surprise me if
ColdFusion had been optimized to handle pages with no dynamic content
different than those with.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051