> or retarded requirements writers.

Or rather -- un-retarded requirements writers who're allowed to
specify anything they can imagine as a requirement...

"We'd like controls in our web application which allow us to insert
and play our DVD on any personal DVD player in the continental US. It
should display a map of the US where we can drill down to an
individual house and then an individual room and select the DVD player
to activate."

A problem of requirements writers having no concept of what is
genuinely possible and what is not, who simply think that computers or
the web are a strange form of black-magic which can do anything a
person can conceive. Their imagination has to be retarded to within
the constraints of what is currently feasible.

> When you are experienced at developing apps for all
> browsers, it becomes harder to develop one for a
> single browser, than it is for all.

This has for the most part been my experience in recent years. I still
run into an occasional issue with something like IE 6 not
understanding the css style display: table-row; when I wanted to
toggle the display of table row elements. IE accepts "block" to return
the table row to its normal display state <sigh> whereas other
browsers then treat the row as a block element and make all its
children in-line thus destroying the table. I did find a reasonably
simple workaround for this tho that's viable for all browsers afaik.
There were some other issues with the tabsets in the onTap framework
and IE not allowing the innerHTML property of tables or table rows to
be written (even though the standard insists that they both be
read/write), but I was able to find a better DOM compliant alternative
for that as well.

Oh... and IE treats the onUnload event differently as well... All
other browsers execute the event _before_ closing the window -- IE
executes the event _after_ the window is closed. So to get the same
behavior with IE again you have to specify the IE specific
onBeforeUnload event handler. Though given that other browsers will
simply ignore the extraneous event handler, I'd just write a function
and use both event handlers to call it in the body tag.

> There are a few exceptions, mostly dealing with activeX
> (though FF has a plugin for that), html text areas (though
> fckeditor 2 will be released soon), and VBScripting (does
> anyone actually use that?). These are very minor.

What's the problem with textareas again? And why will fckeditor 2
help? Or did you mean wysiwyg editors?

s. isaac dealey   954.927.5117

new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with