> 1. It's going to reside in memory one way or the other.
> Either one copy as an Application variable or one copy for
> each page request currently executing as a "variable"
> variable or a request variable. This isn't idle curiosity for
> me, I am doing this on a site that has almost a thousand
> "constants" each page needs.

Yikes! That's a lot of variables! Why so many?

To answer this question satisfactorily, you'll need to do a load test. You
could do this pretty easily, with the right equipment. I've never had to
track that many individual discrete pieces of information in a single
application, I don't think.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496