> When you are experienced at developing apps for all browsers, it becomes
> harder to develop one for a single browser, than it is for all.

Most moderately complex apps have a great many screens. Some of these
screens can only be invoked by forcing error situations or validation
messages. Since we're talking dynamic apps built at runtime, we have to
account for page layout issues (i.e. did you hard set the width of the
select list and now the right hand portion of the data is truncated? Does
the drop down expand past the hard set width at least providing a method for
the user to see the full string?)

My point is that each browser you choose to support adds a lot more overhead
to the entire development process. This translates into a longer timeline
and bigger project cost. Depending on the size and scope of the project, it
could affect the price dramatically.

That said, sometimes, companies require that apps developed for them support
multiple browsers. However, there's always a limit. It's always something
like: Internet Explorer 5.5 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, Internet
Explorer 5.1 on Windows 98 Service Release 2, Internet Explorer 4 on Mac OS
9. And because these are the project requirements, you target for and test
on these platforms.

> There are a few exceptions, mostly dealing with activeX (though FF has a
> plugin for that), html text areas (though fckeditor 2 will be released
> soon), and VBScripting (does anyone actually use that?). These are very
> minor.

Have you ever tried walking into a corporate environment and telling them
that you're application will work, but you're going to need to install a
couple of plug-ins from some no name companies -- or worse open source
projects without official support channels? The same goes for ActiveX
controls in my experience.

Quite simply, most companies developing intranet apps for large corporations
target Internet Explorer because the vast majority of computers already have
Internet Explorer installed. This way, you can roll your application out
without having to install anything on 20,000 desks.

> If you can't develop the app talked about in this thread to be
> cross-browser compatable, it's my theory that you're just inexperienced
> at cross-browser development.

Obviously, I can't speak for the app that's being discussed. However, every
project has requirements. Though support for multiple platforms and browsers
is sometimes one of them, I've never seen "cross browser" listed as a
requirement for any intranet site. It's an open ended term that is
impossible to define in a practical sense.

Insulting someone because he's more concerned about meeting tangible
requirements than adhering to some pure aesthetic does not further your
argument.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051