If you're willing to rebuild (since it will only install to a clean drive)
you can get the OEM copy of XP Pro for, I think, $89.  The upgrade edition
is, I think, $99 and the full is $200.

You might want to see if you can get a discount from the laptop at CompUSA
if you take ownership with no OS.  I believe that they HAVE to do this as
part of the MS monopoly trail (they can't force you to buy it if you don't
want it).

My favorite place to find laptops has become TigerDirect.com - they've got
some great deals on off-lease and refurbs and offer incredible service.

Jim Davis