> S.Isaac Dealey wrote:
>>
>> Except that with the w3c box model there are still a
>> small number of very simple things which are ...
>> I hate to say it, but _FLAT_IMPOSSIBLE_ to accomplish.
>> Whereas this is not the case with the MS box model.

> An example would be helpful.

You must have missed the first message in this thread...

Here's the archive url:

http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/messages.cfm/threadid:37168/foru
mid:4

>> What matters is that a viewable page can be formatted
>> in a consistent manner which allows us full control
>> over the display -- which we don't have with the
>> w3c model.

> Full control, shmull control: there'll always be a
> browser that screws up in some way. As soon as the
> page leaves the server, there goes our control over
> how it's displayed.

Except I'm not talking about every browser. I'm not talking about
Konqueror not rendering correctly -- I'm talking about not having
control even when using a browser which is said to render the box
model correctly.

>> My efforts to support the w3c model are based on
>> the idea that it's better to have a _BROKEN_
>> standard than no standard.

> That's fair, but I don't see *how* exactly it's
> broken? A pain at times, yes, but calling it broken
> seems a little much.

Two iframes side by side which together fill the screen horizontally
having a fixed amount of space between the iframe and the window edge
and a fixed amount of space between each other and which also fill the
remainder of the height of the window after a header and footer div
are placed above and below them, and which don't degenerated into one
above and one below when the browser is shrunk horizontally.

If you can accomplish that in Firefox or IE6 with the appropriate
doctype, I'd be mighty impressed, and I'd amend/retract what I've
said.

s. isaac dealey     954.927.5117
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with