FirstNight.org sees some nasty traffic for three or four days a year
(peaking in the high hundred-thousands of requests).  I wouldn't mind having
a second server for just those days, but it's really too expensive.

As it is however that traffic IS handled on a shared server using
CrystalTech's $26/month account.  These aren't high-powered servers either
(they're good boxes, not god boxes).

But asking this it's nearly impossible to offer a meaningful answer.  My
application is actually pretty slow (I do a lot of metrics tracking and the
pages are relatively large).  The same box could easily handle for or five
the times the traffic from a more static site or a tenth of the traffic for
a more complex site.

Jim Davis