You've got a site. You've got content in the root. (index.cfm, let's say)
and you've got content in directories lower than the root (foo/content.cfm).
Let's say that you want "index.cfm" and "foo/content.cfm" to share the same
navigation as an include, naturally, because you only want to change one
copy of "include/navigation.cfm" and it will be updated in every page of the
site.

But how do you resolve directory path problems?

In "index.cfm", the navigation include (this code is in
"include/navigation.cfm" remember) refers to "images/image.jpg" which works
in the root index.cfm file...however, when you refer to this include in
"foo/content.cfm" it needs to instead refer to "../images/image.jpg". How to
resolve this? How do you work on this locally, with includes, and set it up
to mirror your development site, so all you need to do is push it over and
it's live and working? Our development server is just a smallish, in-house
box that we use like this, "testing.mydomain.com/client1/" and
"testing.mydomain.com/another_client/" and we're using relative paths in
development. It wasn't such a big problem until recently when we've just
sort of grown out of a mom and pop solution to development and have begun to
try and implement firmer coding methods and procedures. So we're stumbling
trying to figure out a solution besides "make a second copy of
navigation.cfm so that the paths work when it's one directory lower" etc...

We're trying to figure out if Dreamweaver Templates can figure into the mix
somehow, giving us locked regions that can change depending on where you
save the file, then just edit the template to apply global changes to a
navigation, etc...but that doesn't *seem* to be working out very
well...Although one of the guys in the office just shouted that he thinks
"Nesting templates" might work...

I just was wondering how you all are managing this kind of development thing
where you want to create includes and minimize coding, but have to make
paths in those includes work properly, no matter where they are in your
site...

Does this make sense what I'm asking?