 > remembered somebody'd already solved this particular problem before:
 >
 >      http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/3cols2/
<http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/3cols2/>

Keith: That example conveniently sums up why I'm abandoning CSS
positioning after a couple years of work in that area. CSS-P is so
incredibly fragile that any unpredictable event can mangle it and
render the page unusable.

For example, I dropped a large photo into that layout, and instead of
stretching the center column to accommodate it, Firefox let the image
overlap the right column. IE fared even worse, effectively blowing up
in my face... the content in the left and right columns jumped into
the center column and joined the flow.

But it gets worse. Just as a goof, I removed the image, leaving an
empty <p></p> element to the center column. Firefox didn't even blink,
but IE suddenly allowed the left column's content to leap into the
center column and actually overlap it. A single empty paragraph was
all it took to break the layout.

If you're designing for controlled content, CSS-P can be effective.
But if you're designing for content generated by mere mortals, it's a
disaster waiting to happen in every browser I've ever seen.

--
Roger Benningfield
work: http://journurl.com/