----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: Slow (sorta) site issues - Ideas?

> I've a site that while not slow, is most likely not going to take the
> traffic it's facing.  The site is www.firstnight.org - it will get
> absolutely pounded on New Year's Eve.
>
> Since this will be the warnest New Year's Eve in recent memory AND is
> a weekend AND is a holiday for nearly everybody now I fully expect
> this to be one of the busiest years ever.
>
> Unfortunately we're still a non-profit.  We can't afford the kind of
> iron that this kind of traffic would require for only one or two days
> a year. Right now we're on a shared hosting plan at CrystalTech which
> we nearly overran last year.

How portable is your site?  Have you asked your host whether you could
just move it to a dedicated server for one month per year, then back to
the shared server?  If they can do it then it shouldn't cost more than a
couple hundred bucks.

Or maybe another host altogether could accomodate you for one month per
year.  Keep the shared Crystal account and use DNS to point to the site on
the dedicated host, then switch back when things settle down.  If mail
doesn't also peak and swamp the shared server then just keep the MX as is
and only redirect the web traffic.