Well - that last question kinda of answered it.  With all users running the
code it DID crash the server.  ;^)

The initialization code, in this case, is actually pretty complex but more
importantly it would suffer data issues if run multiple times.  For example
it instantiates a session cache which is stowed in the application scope.

Since the current user's session is then stored in that cache it would be a
Bad Thing if the next request rebuilt the cache.

Sure, I could place <CFIF>'s around all the places that this would matter -
but it's much, much cleaner to just wrap the entire process in a lock.

Jim Davis