I haven't done asp in a while, but if I remember correctly all
variables don't exactly need to be defined unless you put Option
Explicit in the top of the page. For instance if you reference a
variable that doesn't exist it won't error out, it will just not
output anything.

<%

        if myvariable <> "" then
                response.write(myvariable) & "hello"
        else mysecondvariable <> ""
                response.write("not equal to anything")
                else
                  do something else
        end if

        myvariable = myvariable + mysecondvariable
                response.write myvariable
%>

Here none of the variables "myvariable" or "mysecondvariable" are
defined or scoped or anything, but the last statement will still
return a value of 0.

ASP does not make you define your variables unless you use the Option Explicit.

It's recommeded that you use the option explicit so you won't run into
any problems.

Again it's been a while since i've coded in ASP, so if anyone needs to
correct me, go ahead.