>Only problem with that is if you are accessing a table with a lot of
>rows, Oracle ends up doing its upper function on the entire column
>which can slow things down a bit when running the query.

Look into function based indexes to solve this. Buy the book "Expert
one-on-one Oracle" by Tom Kyte (Wrox/Apress) if you want to unlock the
more powerful features of Oracle (but it should not be your first Oracle
book obviously). If your customer is paying all that money for an Oracle
license, you should be looking at maximizing their return.

just my 0.02$,

/t