From: Katz, Dov B (IT) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 January 2005 12:22
To: CF-Talk
Subject: divide and conquer (how to deploy cf, db, ftp, iis, etc over 2
boxes)

Assuming you have the following to run:

MSSQL2k,
LiveStats,
IIS,
CFMX6.1 (maybe eventually  7) ,
IMail (or some other mail server with POP, SMTP and webmail access)
FTP services.

And you have 2 identical adjacent machines each with:

Dual 2.8 Ghz Xeon processors,
4 GB RAM,
3x73GB SCSI 10K rpm disks, in RAID (5?) array
Win2k server OS

The machines each have a dedicated NIC for talking to each other, and
then a separate public NIC card

Here's what I was thinking:

Box 1)  CF, Backup MSSQL (via mssql automatic replication), and IIS just
for CFM pages at www.domain.com, and backup SMTP Box 2)  primary MSSQL,
IIS for images/static at img.domain.com  , and primary SMTP server

Boxes would have shared drive so Box 1 can upload static images to
Box2...   Box 2 would run a backup instance of CF, and have a copy of
the code in case it needs to be activated.  Static images which have
changed would be copied from Box 2 to Box 1 every X hours.

I was thinking of having IIS on img.domain.com redirect empty requests
to the real www.domain.com and set up domain.com to have DNS of IP1,
IP2, and img.domain.com = IP2, IP1

What would you do, and is this overengineering?   What would you do if
one box goes down?

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender
does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.