Which is perfectly acceptable in many situations.  If the tool was only
needed for an "admin" area (private, small user base) it may save money or
provide more features to dictate a platform.

Most enterprises have standardized on a single, supported browser platform.
The application I'm currently building at the office is an HTML Application
- IE 5-6 only.  This is fine in this case because the application is
internal only and used by a small handful of users (it updates inconsistent
mainframe client data).

The HTA framework allows for a lot of functionality I couldn't otherwise use
(or couldn't quickly and cheaply use) in cross-browser environment.

The enterprise time tracking system is IE only as is our defect tracking
system (from Mercury) and many of our internal change management systems.
When your dealing with several thousand desktops it makes nothing but sense
to standardize and leverage that standardization.  It doesn't make sense to
spend time and money building (and testing) cross-platform tools when those
other platforms aren't even supported in the environment the tool will be
used in.

Of course that doesn't mean it's ALWAYS applicable.  I would consider a
Windows only solution for a public site or a for a cross-affiliate site.
But in a lot of cases it's a perfectly reasonable, intelligent design
decision.

In the end it all depends on the circumstances.

Jim Davis