>> Does making sure that it's a varchar do the same thing? IOW, is
>> it making sure that it's not some sort of run statement?
>
>Yes, it simply tells the database server that the value is just that - a
>value rather than an SQL command.

ah great, thanks for the clarity.  I have alot of retro-fitting to do on DBs
that I worked on in the past.

>I haven't seen the original query that you're working with (presumably it's
>somewhere within a previous message), but all you have to do is replace your
>literal values with CFQUERYPARAM tags - you shouldn't have to change your
>conditional logic around to accommodate this, I don't think.

yeah, I build the WHERE into a long string
<cfset the_where = "WHERE mycolumn = myvalue">
<cfset the_where = "#the_where # AND mycolumn = myvalue"> etc.

The new way, I just CFIF the actual column and values into the SQL statement -
like in your example on the MM page.

Thanks for the help.  Hope you like this weekends snow - looks to be a good one.