> Does anyone know how to run a "CFM" file, periodically,
> without the use of ColdFusion's scheduled task functions?
> For example, every 24-hours at a specified time. My web
> site is hosted on a shared server and the hosting company
> won't allow the use of the CF Administrator's scheduled
> tasks, nor will they allow the use of CFSCHEDULE. They
> say that both modify the registry and modification of the
> registry has been disabled for security reasons. Any ideas
> would be greatly appreciated.

You can use the operating system scheduler, if you have access to that.
However, I suspect that if you can't use the CF scheduler, you won't be able
to access the OS scheduler. You could try, though. You'd need to build a
batch file that would set the environment variables you need, which would
probably require CFFILE. You might then be able to use CFEXECUTE to call the
"at" command (assuming you're on NT) to schedule your batch file.

Unfortunately for you, if your host doesn't let you use the CF scheduler,
they probably don't let you use CFFILE or CFEXECUTE.

As a workaround, you could have every page request within the application
run a "schedule check". Use a database table and/or a complex memory
variable to list what events you want, and when you want them to occur. Have
your application's application.cfm file check to see whether the time for
any unexecuted events has passed. If so, have the event execute, and mark it
as executed in your table.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496