So far, with all of the research I've done--and thanks very much to
everyone and all of the opinions (seems like this has been/is a really
healthy thread, btw), I think I'm going with a couple of options:

For the "public facing", anyone-can-add-them "Comments" thingy, I'll
probably use tmt_xhtmleditorpro.  Just seems to make more sense at this
point in time to sort of be more restrictive/limited on the front end.

For the "internal facing", only the authors and editors will see it, I'll
probably implement FCKEditor.  The nice functionality within will be
great, but still may be too much for some of the authors, so I may end up
regressing to xhtmleditorpro.  Advantage is that FCK works with a lot more
browsers and I can cripple it to the minimums, so it's a tough call.

It'll be an interesting evening, I'm sure.

Thanks again, everyone!