From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 3:09 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF-based Online Backup System...any thoughts?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm going to be offering online (Internet-based) backup/storage for my
> clients
> and have been looking at various solutions (non-CF) already offered and
> began to wonder if it was possible to create a browser-based backup system
> using CF and perhaps scheduled tasks to backup files via http or to ftp
> accounts.

What exactly are the requirements? File encryption? Transfer
encryption? Full backups? Incremental backups? Differential
backups? Bandwidth use? Automation level? Client push or server pull?

> Also...anyone know if it's possible to offer this kind of service using
any
> FTP
> capabilities that might be built-in to Windows 2003 Server Web Edition?

No way. FTP uses plain text transfers including plain text
passwords. People make backups of data because that data is
valuable and that usually means they don't want prying eyes.

Jochem