From: Barney Boisvert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 2:18 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: grabbing the id of a newly created item..

That's something you should know about your DB.  There are reasons to
use transactions even if your DB doesn't support them.  For instance,
if you need 100% assurance that a series of statements will be
executed on a single connection, and no other statements will be
interspersed between them.  If you have a driver that understands
transactions (which the MySQL JDBC driver does) , and a
transaction-aware connection pool, you can use transactions for
exactly this effect, regardless of whether the DB actually supports
transactional logic (which MYISAM tables don't).  This allows you to
effectively use table locks and LAST_INSERT_ID() on MYISAM tables,
where you otherwise wouldn't be able to reliably do so, because of
connection pooling.

CFMX happens to single thread access to connections from the pool at a
request level, but BlueDragon doesn't do this.  On BD, every query
pulls a connection from the pool, runs the query, and then releases
the connection back to the pool.  (Whether that's efficient or not is
another discussion.)  Therefore if you want to use table locks, you
MUST use CFTRANSACTION.  If MySQL threw an error, then BD's pooling
mechanism would effectively prevent you from using MYISAM tables in
any sort of efficient way.

I'm willing to trust my knowledge of the DB for the ability to use the
database in these scenarios.

cheers,
barneyb

--