I don't really want to get into a which is better discussion, but I wanted to
share my experience with SP2.  I've never had a problem with it.  Mostly
because I just bought a new computer - and didn't have to deal with updating it
before all my crap got on it.

I can understand why M$ wants to people to update their machine - any support
tech knows that the more versions of a program out there - the harder it's to
support it.  Every piece of software has a life cycle and there are now "three"
versions of XP (original release, SP1 and SP2).  Until recently, I had been
using Win98SE since 1998 and they just stoppped supporting it.

I'm not defending M$ at all - as I prefer a lot of non-M$ software (Corel
WordPerfect, Inspiration over Visio, etc.).  I just wanted to say - an updater
just possible cannot adapt to *all* possible situations and there is bound to
be some problems.

Regarding the IE being fixed - it does.  But, they aren't loosing enough money
to Firefox/Mozilla yet to justify a new "better" (bloatted) version.  I think
they have their hands full with the long over due new version of Windows!