On Feb 7, 2005, at 8:33 AM, Rick Root wrote:

> Dick Applebaum wrote:
>>
>> What I am looking for is something that a fairly sophisticated
>> end-user
>> could use-- the type of user who creates sophisticated Excel ss or
>> MS-Access apps/reports.  Not a programmer, just a capable user.
>
> Well, even CFMX Enterprise doesn't offer that... the report builder is
> really for programmers to design reports to be published by the
> server... You wouldn't give the report builder to end users, unless you
> also want to give them RDS access and teach them all about coldfusion
> expression syntax =)
>
>   - Rick

That's good to know!

What if you want to create  a site containing CF and a database, and
some apps of course-- say an Inventory/Sales system.

Then you want to let a small group of sophisticated users (like an AA
to the VP of Marketing) create ad hoc and repeatable reports.  You can
assume that these people have come CF (and CS) knowledge/training-- but
they don't program for a living.

I've seen these types of systems done with MS-Access, FileMaker, and
Excel (after the raw data is extracted from the db).

It is amazing the amount of useful, digital, information that exists in
an enterprise, with no ability to mine it!

 From the user's point of view, he wants/needs to get the info, on
demand (and will work all night to get it), not submit a request to the
IT dept. to get in a queue to have a program developed.

 From the developer's perspective, he can concentrate his talents on
delivering critical longer-range strategic solutions, rather than be
constantly interrupted for this or that special request.

 From Top Mgmt's perspective, everybody (including Top Mgmt) gets what
they want.

I didn't investigate BS Report Building because it is win-only and so,
wouldn't deliver the capability FileMaker and Excel already deliver to
the Mac or 'Nix  desktop.

You are telling me that BS Report Building doesn't even bring this
capability to the win desktop.  Hmmm!

I can easily interface CF and FileMaker dbs on OS X (and maybe win &
linux) or CF & MS-Access dbs on win, to provide the desired
capabilities.  I was hoping to reduce this down to a single CF
Reporting/Charting/preso capability regardless of platform or db.

Guess I need to look elsewhere...

.... Sounds like a job for CFEverywhere Preso!

Dick