> But I am getting the impression that router does not equal firewall.
> Routers do some things that a try firewall does, but not all.
> Is this correct?

No, a router is not a firewall, technically speaking. Routers are used to,
well, route traffic from one network to another. Firewalls are used to
examine and block that traffic if it isn't allowed. However, you may
purchase hardware or software solutions that provide routing and firewall
functionality within a single machine. For example, if you purchase a router
at Best Buy for use at home, it will typically include some firewall and NAT
functionality. Likewise, if you get a Cisco router for your work network, it
may provide firewall functionality as well.

There is, of course, quite a bit of variation between firewalls and their
capabilities.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/