The fastest js-based method that I'm aware of is to have cf generate the
html for each set of options as js variables, then just set
select2.innerHTML to the one you want to use. Particularly efficient if
there are a bunch of options to set, since you don't have to iterate through
each one every time.

I know that the innerHTML attribute isn't html401 spec, but my understanding
(http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/w3c_html.html) is that it is supported in the
major browsers, and I've verified that it does work w current versions of
IE, Firefox and Opera on win2k. Caveat emptor though: This particular code
was built for IE specifically, and I haven't done any cross-browser testing
of it.

Dave Merrill