I just built one (domain controller) last night and another a couple of
days back.

The first thing I did, since it's a generic server running an AMD chip,
is to disable ACPI on the mobo.  I have two servers that are similar and
W2k3 would get hosed every now and then.  The event logs had repeated
warnings about unstability due to ACPI that was enabled on those
computers.

I generally blow away all partitions before the install.
Then, I create a single partition during setup (I create remaining
partitions using Disk Management)
I let setup run its course...
I log in as the admin
Run Windows Update FIRST!
Add App Server role
Run Windows Update
Install A/V
Copy i386 folder from CD to hard drive

(The following were not installed on the domain controller.)
Create IIS web sites
Install ColdFusion
Configure ColdFusion

W2k3 made the installation much simpler because you are not prompted for
as many settings as W2k.

I create very detailed documents each time I build a server for
production or even development use.  That way, depending on network
speeds, I can rebuild my entire server in a couple of hours almost
exactly as before.

M!ke