Tom,

What your looking for is generically called Query By Example (QBE).

There was a CFDJ article on it about a year ago.  There's also a product
called HotQuery which does this.  Here's info from its web site,
www.hotquery.com:

"HotQuery™ is a web browser based, enterprise database query engine &
reporting tool for Oracle & SQL Server. There's no other product like
HotQuery™ available!

HotQuery™ allows you to view, query & report on your Oracle & SQL Server
tables & views, directly from any standard web browser. You gain complete
access to your corporate data. With HotQuery™ you can create & save any
valid SQL query. The exclusive HotQuery-By-Example™ interface makes it
easy for any user to find important information with point & click
simplicity & ease of use. The HotExport™ & HotPrint™ features allow users
to retrieve data to their PC for use in any program. Query results can be
emailed immediately. Load data into MS Excel, Word or a local database."

I don't use HotQuery but it looks good, and now it supports queries from
multiple tables, a key feature lacking in earlier versions.

I have written an intranet app which does this as well.  The first page
lets you construct the "where" clause.  The second page lets you pick
database fields to construct the "select" clause.  The code then
constructs the "from" clause and the proper table joins, submits the
query and displays the results.

A search for "QBE" on the CFDJ web site turned up CF_QBE as well.

-David