With Mike's extensive (about 2 hours on phone/breeze) help we tested all
possible reasons for the initial delay in loading (had been about 5 seconds). A
few adjustments to the CF Administrator and a freshly re-started computer made
the issue vanish.

While doing that, a far more  interesting and harder-to-detect problem was
solved: the <cfchart> tag crashed CF MX7. To make the story short, it was one
(or several) of the fonts installed in the system (the suspects are some fonts
used to produce chess diagrams). As soon as we deleted those fonts, the problem
went away.

In any case, I'm a VERY happy camper and want to publicly thank Macromedia (and
Mike, especially) for the wonderful tech support.