> in size wise how big is that?

I don't know. I zambonied that box. It was too much of a support headache.

>  then take a base copy of xp and add all the patches, fixes, sp1,sp2 and
> so on what kinda size is that?

Since when has hard drive size been an issue? For me, the bigger problem is
having to stay on top of security updates and booting the server every two
days.

>  xp patches and service packs alone are probably bigger than the whole os
> install

It's possible. I don't know off hand. But the XP install is still only a
single CD. RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 was something like 6 or 7 CDs.

>  and at least with your linux kernals its actually upgrading your linux
> system, i dont see where any patches or fixes are actually upgrading xp at
> all

That's part of the point. I don't want security patches and bug fixes to
introduce new features -- and new bugs necessitating new security patches
and bug fixes. If I want new features, I'll buy a new OS or install third
party software on top of my existing OS.

Regardless, you should read up on Windows XP Service Pack 2. It did, in
fact, introduce many new features. Most were added for the sake of security,
however.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051