I'm trying to find a way to extract IPTC information from a JPG and insert that
data into a database (MySQL in this case). For the uninitiated, IPTC
information is metadata such as a photo's Caption, Copyright info, Keywords,
etc, all of which are usually specified by the author in an image editing or
cataloging program (Photoshop or ACDSee).

The method I've worked out thus far is to use ImageMagick (via CFEXECUTE) to
output a text file containing the JPG's IPTC information. Then I read the text
file (CFFILE) and parse out the information I want and pass it to a query to
insert into the DB.

What I would *like* to find is a more efficient way of getting from Point A to
Point B, namely one that doesn't involve creating and reading a text file as an
intermediate step. I'm no expert on ImageMagick, but I've done a lot of
searching and haven't found any information on passing the returned IPTC
information directly to a variable, rather than a text file.

I've also experimented with using CFFILE's READBINARY action directly on the
JPG, and although the desired data is contained in the result, it looks to be a
major pain to parse it out, as there's an awful lot of extraneous information
in the result, and I'm not sure how consistent the output will be from file to
file. I'm not real confident that this is the best path to follow.

My ImageMagic-TXT file-CFFILE-DB method is technically workable, but I'm not
sure how well it will work when dealing with large numbers of JPGs (probably
from 25 to 100 at a go).

Any answers, assistance or just plain brainstorming on this matter would be
greatly appreciated.

I'm running on a Linux machine, so I'm afraid I can't use the Windows-only
custom tags that are available.

Many thanks,
Warren L. Parsons