On Feb 20, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Warren Parsons wrote:

> Hello, I am the original poster.
>
> Through a bit of cranial flatulence on my part, I posted that my
> issues had been solved in a thread other than this one.
>
> I ended up using the Java class mentioned earlier, and it works like a
> charm.
>
> Although the discussion has been stimulating from an academic
> standpoint, adding a Mac to the network was never a realistic option.

Sorry, I  didn't realize this from the original post & started that
discussion.

> Also speaking from an academic standpoint, I wonder if users of Apple
> X-Serves get any of that kind of functionality to play with (or will
> in the near future).

Apple discusses Tiger and Tiger server interchangeably, much of the
time (as they did with the prior versions).

Since Spotlight is part of the core OS and file system, it suspect that
it will be part of both OS X and OS X server...

> As a photographer who deals with metadata regularly, I can appreciate
> the value of robust system-level support for it.

Yes, many feel that the major new Feature of OS X Tiger is the
Spotlight content/metadata search capability.  Steve Jobs said it will
change the way you use your computer.... I t already has for the
millions using iTunes (it contains a limited subset of content/metadata
search for mp3 (and other) audio files).

Many (including myself) think it will also change the way we write web
and desktop applications.

> Thanks to everyone who posted with ideas and suggestions, especially
> James, whose help was invaluable.

Yes, the Java class solution was enlightening.

I never say an answer tho:

Are you able to edit/change the metadata with the Java classes?

TIA

Dick