The search queries can be a little long because you end up with several joins,
but they are fairly efficient in the database. Spectra uses these tables:

types
objects
propertydefinitions
properties

You can use CFINDEX against the documents by type, for instance, and that gives
you an easy search interface for general searches. Still, I don't think Verity
gives you an advantage searching on the metdata for structured information like
keywords, unless the metdata contains longchar/text fields (which Spectra
allows in the properties table). Verity might give you an advantage with large
sets of documents, I guess it depends on your database server.

The XML route is attractive and makes it easier to share data in a world where
everything is done via Web services. But how would you index and search all
those documents? It would be great if Verity supported structured indexing of
XML files.

Verity in CFMX 7 does support categories and category trees, which you might be
able to use to get the data you want in the right structure. Prior versions of
CF do not appear to support category or categorytree.