One thing I found using a SOHO router is that it doesn't support loopback,
meaning my browser can't go out to the Net and then return to my LAN to find
domain names or public IPs hosted on my own network. In my office I host my
own dev server (onpointsolutions.net).  My clients, who aren't on my network
obviously, can view www.client-dev-site.onpointsolutions.net fine but I
can't because of the router's limitations. The solution for me is to add an
entry to my workstation's host file like:

192.168.0.7 client-dev-site.onpointsolutions.net

This simply tells the workstation to stay within the network to view the dev
site on the server box next to it.

This method obviously won't help you determine if you've correctly
configured your server for outside visitors (for that I use a dial up
connection outside my LAN), but it will help if you can't view the sites
yourself from within your LAN.

HTH.

Regards,
Bob Haroche