> With Static Publishing you don't have to worry about the coupling of the
> files to the db if the db were to die, you don't have to worry about the
> extra overhead that CF has to do. Actually CF I believe uses static
> publishing itself. Why send a file through the engine, have it access the
> db, and then be cached by your server? That's silly IMO, do it once and
> update as needed instead of basically updating everytime it is accessed,
> whether you are using application caching or not.
>
> With Static Publishing your killing a couple of needless steps and you get
> the same performance if not better and less to worry about.

Actually I'm just leaning towards pragmatic. Relying on the database,
webserver, and app server to cache everything for me means I don't
have to write and maintain code for the application-oriented caching
(application-scope data or generated files). At least until there *is*
a performance issue. Another gig of memory is cheaper than coding,
testing, and maintenance.

Though on the other hand, generating static pages from the db could be
refactored into a reusable tool for doing same which would also be
pragmatic :)

> > Of course I like playing with 10-100GB MySQL data warehouses, so I'm >
> biased :)

> Say a 10M index and static files seems to me to be better than 100GB of
> data. ;-)

No argument. Especially if you have to back it up. Or try to restore
it. Or move it. I mean, it's often easier to ship a harddrive FedEx
than copy over a network...

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint