Matt Robertson wrote:
> A week or so ago I peeked at the PostGreSQL web site and looked over
> their Windows port.  All of the "Experimental" and "total rewrite" and
> "not fully tested" messages convinced me to keep waiting, as my needs
> are for full production.

The PostgreSQL hackers do not consider PostgreSQL experimental,
they consider Windows experimental. The Windows port will
probably be labelled experimental until Windows turns 18 or some
PostgreSQL hackers drop off the Net ;-)

> Whats its memory footprint like compared to other platforms?

Small. PostgreSQL is designed to work on top of the OS disk cache
and uses little memory for itself. Don't be fooled be the numbers
in the Task Manager, due to its multi-process design memory can
be counted in more the one process.

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18338
http://www.macromedia.com/go/wish/

> I use mySQL primarily in production, although I have clients using MS
> SQL and work in it a fair bit every day.  The code I write has to
> *always* port interchangeably between these two platforms, as well as
> Access and Oracle, so I don't get fancy with *any* platform's
> functions.

Many aspects of PostgreSQL resemble Oracle. Whenever the standard
leaves room and the Oracle implementation makes sense, the Oracle
syntax is copied.

Jochem