> As I'm sure you are all aware, I've had a rather eventful
> installation experience, installing CFMX7 on my WinXpPro dev
> machine, so I can get to know CF7.  It's got a bit heated,
> and I've clearly offended a few people by being so insistent
> and persistent, but you'll all be as relieved as I am to
> learn that my CF7 is now going!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

> *  When the installer fails, there is never an indication as
> to why it fails.  I think there ought to be.

Actually, it does write a log file somewhere. Honestly, since I haven't run
into too many installation problems I don't know how useful it is, but it
can't hurt I guess.

> *  In the docs, there is a page headed "Verifying the
> installation" with a number of checks to make sure it's
> all set up correctly. But there is no link to documentation
> about what to do if it's not. It wouldnt take a lot of
> effort for someone to just put a link to the support notes
> describing how to fix what's broken.

Unfortunately, I suspect this would be harder than it seems. After all,
there are many reasons why the install might fail.

> *  If there is an app running on the system that will break
> the installer, how hard should it be to search for it in the
> preparatory stage of the installer, then halt the instaler if
> it's present, with a warning, asking the user to close it
> down before proceeding.

For this approach to work, Macromedia would have to know about every
possible conflict between their server product and all the things that might
end up on a Windows XP desktop, including spyware/adware/etc. Keep in mind
that they, like most other companies, have limited QA resources. Personally,
I'd rather they spend those resources elsewhere.

> * Despite all the assurances, there does appear to be issues
> with the installer and IIS5.1.  Yes, a great many people have
> installed it successfully with IIS, but also quite a few,
> such as myself and others who have written to me who DO have
> problems with IIS.

I suspect that these problems aren't with IIS specifically, but rather with
running the web server configuration tool. This Java tool unpacks a library,
which is then configured to send messages from your web server to JRun via
TCP ports. There are all kinds of potential problems along the way -
java.exe has to be in the path to run it, there might be something else
using the specified ports already, there might be a software firewall or
something blocking access to those ports, etc. I'm pretty sure that there
was some sort of TCP connectivity problem on your machine when we were
trying to set up CFMX 6.1 to work with IIS.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/