>While all that may be true, we were talking about the DataDirect Connect
>driver shipped with CFMX, not the MS driver.

Sorry, I'm not very famililar (if at all) with CF. It's just that the
DataDirect driver is the parent of _a lot_ of the JDBC drivers out there
(including the MS, BEA and IBM ones) and I was a bit confused by earlier posts
I've seen on CF forums. And although the DataDirect driver is (I have to admit)
the most stable and tested SQL Server drivers it's definitely not the fastest
(and also, some of its offspring, such as the MS driver, is based on older much
more unstable versions).

>> You could, however use jTDS: it works both over TCP/IP and
>> named pipes and supports three types of authentication
>> (SQL Server, Windows authentication providing a user name
>> and password and Windows authentication using a native
>> Single Sign On library).
>
>I wasn't aware of all that. In the case of Windows authentication using a
>native SSO library, do you have to run CFMX as the specific Windows user
>against which you want to perform authentication?

To be totally honest, I don't know for sure. I'm an almost 100% Java programmer
and I use Linux most of the time. But if you ask this question on the jTDS
forums you will definitely get an answer. And a warning: we have just
discovered a bug in the SSO library, which being native can crash and take down
the whole JVM; we have a patch submitted and we're working on it but we do not
recommend using SSO in production yet.

>> jTDS is also more stable and a faster than the MS driver.
>
>Have you performed benchmarks to this effect? Can you share the benchmark
>results and the steps you went through to perform your tests? How does it
>compare to DataDirect and JTurbo?

We have performed a lot of benchmarks, but major vendors such as DataDirect and
JNetDirect (not sure about NewAtlanta) do not allow publishing of benchmark
results produced using their drivers. I think it's quite obvious why. There are
a couple of links to benchmarks provided by some commercial vendors on the jTDS
homepage ( http://jtds.sourceforge.net/ ) and some older benchmark results also
on the jTDS site ( http://jtds.sourceforge.net/benchTest.html ). Running the
benchmarks is really straightforward and both come with pretty detailed READMEs.

Alin,
The jTDS Project.