From: Paul Hastings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 11:00 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFMX, Dreamweaver and UTF-8

Calvin Ward wrote:
> If I understand correctly, if I use Dreamweaver to save a .cfm file with a
> BOM for Unicode, then I shouldn't need to use <cfprocessingdirective>.
Does
> that sound correct?

correct but not really the best practice. a BOM isn't actually part of
the definition for utf-8. so if you have any other s/w monkeying with
your files & it doesn't respect the BOM, bye-bye BOM, hello mojibake.

and since you got me started on the subject, it's really a good idea to
include cfcontent & setEncoding in the application.cfm (or the
blackstone equivalents) and cfprocessingdirective on each page. and it's
also still a good idea to provide language & encoding hints via
html/meta tags (even though cf ignores these) for dumb as doorknobs
spiders, screen readers, etc.