> Isaac,

> When transfering a complicated DB I always generate the
> script with all the
> dependencies then run the "creates" (not the constraints
> and indexes). Then
> I run the DTS to transfer. Doing it that way preserves my
> identy fields.
> Then I run the part of the script that handles
> constraints, indexes, stored
> procedures and views.  If you do it all in the right order
> its pretty
> painless. The script generator does a pretty good job. If
> I have one I need
> to run repeatedly for some reason I use the drops as well
> - and I divide the
> scripts up into tasks that are added to my DTS package
> before and after -
> only using the wizard to generate the actual part of the
> package.

Well yea, YMMV ... however... here are the steps for a backup-restore:

1) back up
2) transfer the file (if needed)
3) restore

Or for a detach / attach

1) make sure nobody's attached to the db currently
2) detach
3) transfer the file (if needed)
4) attach

Asside from the fact taht detach doesn't work if someone's connected
to the db, neither of these methods have any drawbacks that _i've_
found... Obvously again YMMV. But in my experience they're
significantly easier than using DTS. And the original request was for
the easiest way. :)

s. isaac dealey   954.927.5117
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with