On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:12:11 -0500, Adrocknaphobia
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Do you even have your CISSP?
>
> -Adam

I need a CISSP to understand *basic* security precautions? Like using
a firewall? No, I don't have a CISSP -- nor is a certification
directly relevant to the discussion (though I think CISSP is one of
the better certifications there is as far as rigor and value).

What I do have is the experience of managing a datacenter containing a
heterogenous mix of Linux and Windows servers of varying versions for
6 years, not to mention handling or securing the on-site and colo
networks for around a dozen clients. I don't do anything fancy -- PIX
firewalls on the outside, software firewalls on key internal boxes, a
little bit of appropriate VLAN segregation, ssh and VPNs where
appropriate. And then simple monitoring and an occasional run of
Nessus to ensure things are still tight. And keeping abreast of the
security fixes/bulletins for the key software I run.

I have, however, seen numerous folks cracked -- specifically Windows
folks (probably b/c more clients locally use Windows). I've seen one
client with a Win NT 4 SP4 server running naked (no firewall) with FTP
enabled get turned into a porn DVD server. I've seen the Biz School at
a major univeristy be brought to its knees TWICE by Windows worms. And
I've seen the CTO of a startup bring in Slammer to the *inside* of
their network on a laptop... contracted even though he's on dialup at
home... In al of these cases, a basic firewall rules would have
prevented the incident.

Hopefully those of you who are CISSP will be doing something a little
more sophisticated than arguing that a firewall is a good thing.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint